There’s a reason why Google is one of the most powerful search engines in the world: they leave no stone unturned. One feature that helps Google extends its reach is Google My Business. Let’s take a look at what it is, why it matters, and how optimizing your Google My Business listing can do wonders for your online presence.
What is GMB?
Google My Business (or GMB for short) is a kind of database for businesses — retail and otherwise — to officially register them with Google. This large registry helps Google accurately populate the names and locations of businesses in geotargeted search results and maps. Once you’ve registered, GMB can even function as a tool that helps you monitor your business’s popularity.
Optimizing Your Google My Business Listing in 6 Steps
Of course, any database is only as good as the information that’s fed into it. There are several ways to make sure that you’re using this feature to its full potential and optimizing your Google My Business listing:
1. Make sure your business has a good, original name! Ideally, you’ve already taken this into consideration when launching your dispensary, but a GMB listing drives the point home: a unique name will keep you at the front of customer’s minds and help you stand out against your competition.
2. Don’t skip the verification process. For every business that registers with Google My Business, Google will mail a physical verification postcard to your stated business address. Completing this card and sending it back will distinguish your dispensary as a legitimate establishment rather than a spam listing.
3. Because you ultimately want to drive foot traffic into your brick-and-mortar dispensary, make sure you tick off the box reading “I serve customers at my business address.” This will ensure that your business name and operation hours are properly displayed when your dispensary pops up in Google Maps or local search results.
4. As with blog content, using SEO keywords in your description is key to optimizing your Google My Business listing. Although the interface only allows for a maximum of 750 characters, working in top words or phrases from your keyword research will help you reap the most value from GMB by pulling in potential customers who are looking for what your dispensary offers.
5. Add some good photos. Google My Business offers business the option of uploading their own photos of their location and the goods they offer. An attractive, professional-looking photo puts your best foot forward and can encourage people to show up in person.
6. Don’t neglect GMB Insights! Google My Business offers this tool as a kind of analytical dashboard for registered business to view their statistics. It’s a good idea to keep an eye on these metrics and optimize as needed. Among other things, Insights will show you:
- Common search terms that lead users to find your business online
- How many users are finding your business via search vs. via Google Maps
- How often users call you through the number in your GMB listing
Not sure if your GMB listing is optimized? Get a free digital presence audit below and see where you can improve!